I thought it was interesting how our IQ’s are visible based on what we “like” on Facebook. Just because one doesn’t “like” those certain things on Facebook doesn’t make them dumb, maybe they choose not to. I choose not to post certain things and display certain things on there, like my hometown and where I’m currently living. This is because the internet knows too much, and people don’t need to know my whereabouts, especially when I’m in college by myself with no one to protect me. Panopticons come into play because people are looking at my Facebook account when I don’t realize it. They see what I like and comment and such. Facebook is a power and we learn about others through that power. We learn about other people’s interests and views based on what we see that they “like” and post. The digital world has allowed us to know more about people based on their likes before we really get to know them. Before Facebook, we asked people questions in person regarding what they liked to do and their interests when first meeting someone, but now we go look at their Facebook and see what they like and their interests in order to have something to talk about. The digital world shapes how we interact with people.
I found the part of the video about determining your IQ based on what you like to be odd too. Just because I don't like curly fries on Facebook doesn't mean that I have a low IQ! I also enjoyed how you pointed out the panopticons behind all of this because providing Facebook with intricate information about ourselves online makes it easier for them to get a better look at us, yet we can't do the same for them.
The video about how Facebook knows everything about us is indeed creepy. The fact that they can tell our IQ based on if we like such things as curly fries sounds absurd. I have always noticed how the ads that are featured on my Facebook are linked to the pages that I have liked. To me, that was no surprise. I found this video to be creepy but yet, I felt as though I already knew these things. The ads are one indication and I suppose it is not hard to find out people's ethnicity or political stance based on the pages we go to or pages we like. If we are liking political pages or pages that relate to our ethnicity, it is not hard for Facebook to determine what we are like. In the bigger picture of things, the idea of Facebook being a panopticon is not surprising. After all, they are watching our every click, comment, and personal message that we are sending. It is smart on their part because they can increase the amount of advertisements they have as well as how many people visit those advertisements. Facebook is a panopticon because we don't even realize they are watching us. We log onto Facebook thinking we are the only ones who can see and know what we are doing, when in reality, there are others always watching.
Everyone always says be careful what you put on the internet because everyone will be able to see it and you can never delete it. This particular video made that even more prevalent. It never crossed my mind that my aimless likes on random items on my time line could tell someone my religion, ethnicity, and my IQ. It sounds kind of crazy. The video made me think about the things i like on Facebook and how it would correlate to any of those things. I sit on Facebook and like things with barely thinking about why i like them. How does that translate to my IQ? But apparently it does! Facebook is completely a panopticon. People can find so many things about you from Facebook. If they just looked at my information, right away they could know the basics about my life like I attend college at Miami University, I am from Troy Michigan, who im related to, and how to contact me. Half of that stuff I now want to get rid of because it is creepy to think about how many people probably look at that a day. Facebook paints a picture of everyone's life by using the information we give it, whether that picture that is painted is reality or not, people still see it.
I am not really an avid Facebook user so I haven't like many different pages. The only thing I do use the like button for is for pictures and individuals statuses. This wasn't covered in the video. Honestly, to me this isn't very creepy. I think it is a very efficient way to link people to other sites that they would be interested in. I can see how it can be viewed as creepy because it can be related to a panopticon which makes you feel that the Facebook administration is always watching. Facebook has just adopted a way to bring similar people closer and make it easier for people to stay up to date with things they have indicated interest in. This same tactic can be seen in many other websites that makes you type in specific interests.
I am constantly on social media sites such as Facebook and I have noticed that they tailor ads to what I like. For example, when I did cheerleading in high school I would like cheerleading pages and search different things about cheerleading on my computer, so all the ads that popped up were about cheerleading. At first I thought this was just a coincidence, but then I realized that they continued to pop up every time, and they were not always the same ads. I don't think this is a bad thing because it is a way of marketing to a specific audience that is actually interested, even though I never click on the ads. However, Facebook claiming that they can tell the persons IQ by what the like does not seem to be realistic to me. Especially when they make the claims that the highest IQ's like curly fries and to kill a mocking bird on Facebook. ANyone could like curly fries because they are delicious and a lot of people like them, regardless of IQ. I read to kill a mockingbird my freshman year of high school. It really isn't a difficult read that only the highest of IQ's could enjoy. I find it so weird that anything you put on Facebook will remain in the web forever, no matter if you delete it or not. We really have no privacy so you have to think twice before you send anything to anyone over the web, even if it is in a message. Facebook really is a panoptican because people can be watching you and every little thing you post, and you have no idea that they are doing it.
I found this short video very interesting, but one thing that I wanted to point out was the fact that it's not Facebook necessarily determining these things, it was a group of researchers from Cambridge University. Sure, Facebook does use your likes and different web-searches to determine what kind of advertisements to present to you, but they are not actually the people behind finding your IQ, race, or gender. When it comes to Facebook, I think that it could definitely be compared to a panopticon. Now that Facebook has blown up into a large company, they probably have people who are hired to watch and track different likes. There are people that keep track of certain pages, and shut them down when necessary. This also made me think about Siri, which we have talked about briefly in class. The fact that people are always tracking, watching, and listening to the things that go on in our lives could creep some people out. I think it is very interesting, and I always keep those things in mind when I post things on the Internet. I always find it really funny when people don't take those things into consideration even after they are warned, and it comes back to bite them.
I do enjoy that you pointed out that it was the researchers at Cambridge who have determined all of this information about Facebook and not Facebook itself because I made that same mistake in my blog post on here. I agree that this could be compared to a panopticon because they can always be watching us yet we can't always be watching them. Very fascinating and kinda scary!
I thought this was scary/interesting/weird. I think this is scary because like Katherine said you really have to watch what you put and like on the internet. It is scary to think that anything you like on facebook can link to something else. I never really thought about it when I used to like pages when I was younger. But now a lot more is making sense. Whenever I go to a clothes website, the next time I go on Facebook or YouTube, I have those ads on the side. I think it's really interesting that people can tell that much about you just from what you like. I don't even like half of the things that I "liked" in the past, so I don't know how true my IQ test would be. I like how Haley talked about Siri and that you can ask siri anything. Siri freaks me out because I wonder who is getting those siri questions. Can they hear what you say all of the time? I don't know to me this is all weird. This also reminds me how I used to google my name and all of these sites would pop up, I'm curious to see how many sites will grow as I grow older.
It's interesting that facebook was able to figure out all of that personal information based on pages we liked. I went on my facebook to look at some of the things I liked but I couldn't see how that would give facebook the ability to tell my gender or anything like that. The more pages and stuff you like on facebook the more people can know about you. I guess it can be creepy if you have something to hide, but they have to have so much information about so many people that more than likely information about yourself goes overlooked. Facebook has the power to be a panopticon in some aspects but it is only taking information that we are making public to everyone.
In class we discussed how media space and real physical space have become merged into one and how over time they have become increasingly harder to separate. In the Steubenville case we saw how all this evidence proved the football players guilt. Facebook is now using what we do and how we interact in media space to make their own profile on us. Growing up we have always been told to be careful what you put on the internet because you never know whose watching nothing can be deleted. It is creepy to realize that its not only other users we need to watch out for but Facebook itself. I think for some users Facebook is panopticon because people know they are being watched and don't want there information to be easily accessible by others. However, some users know that Facebook and other users do not care that others can see there posts and do not filter their information and things they put on Facebook.
this actually doesn't surprise me. I would think it would be pretty easy to figure out these single things just by watching what people post. Most of this seems accurate except the IQ part. That i cannot war my head around. While like sam I do not really get on facebook as often as most people do, but i do look at it often. I rarely make posts anymore because like in class someone is always watching you. As a matter of fact for those of you who are seniors i suggest changing your Facebook because employers look at that very often and determine if you are a candidate. This can ultimately disqualify you.
I dont know whether to think this is cool or just plain scary. I think it's crazy how much the internet knows about people, but the fact that they are able to tell you age, sex, religion, IQ and many other things just by one website and your interactions on the website is scary especially since many people don't put that information on the internet for specific reasons. I think it's kinda cool though because i have always had an interest in marketing and it's crazy that now we are able to pinpoint advertisements for people based off what books they like, what videos they watch, what picture they have on their Facebook and various other information. I see Facebook as a panopticon because you can't tell who has been looking at your facebook page or when people are looking at your Facebook page much like how prisoners aren't able to tell when they're being watched or by how many people they're being watched by. This also makes me think of 1984 one of my favorite books which was mentioned in the video. a panopticon is just like Big Brother in the book as people of the society never knew when they were being watched or heard, just like people don't know when other people are viewing their Facebook pages.
I never thought about Facebook this way before. It isn't that surprising though because we put so much information on Facebook about ourselves and a lot of people have access to that information. I also thought about how I have Facebook friends that I barely know and they can see everything that I post, and can create an impression of me just through a social network. I do think that Facebook would be a very useful research tool for businesses to see what the people like and what is trending right now, but it's creepy that people can find out so many things about you, like your IQ, religion, sex, etc. just from what you like on Facebook. I have never really put much thought into what I like on Facebook at all, and I never thought that people would be analyzing this, like the news reporter said it's just a casual thing. I think that Facebook is like a panopticon because we can be observed at all times once we put our information out on Facebook, we put our information out there and it's not hard for people to gain access to it, just like the researchers used over 58,000 Facebook users likes to analyze their race, gender, sexual orientation, and IQ.
It's amazing that Facebook can make such precise predictions of people based on their likes. It is something that one never really thinks about when liking something on Facebook. What this study shows me is that our Intelligence level can influence our choices, and decides the type of things we are interested in. Also, people of different sexes are likely to have different things that they would like on Facebook, along with Homosexuals or people of different races. Things we like are things that describe ourselves, although in an indirect way.
This clip reminds me of how in class we discussed how the hackers could actually get access to all of the "rape gangs" texts basically without anyone noticing, that is until it was made public to everyone. People think that on Facebook whatever you like only your friends and yourself can see what you do, what you like, who you friend, etc. But as we discussed in class, once you put something on the web, it's there forever. It's creepy to think without even meeting someone, they can already tell your IQ, even when relating to food! Facebook is a major panopticon because people can find out basically your life story, without you even knowing. To random strangers you may not be a stranger at all, because they could have already creeped on your Facebook and know random things about you. Technology, depending on how you look at it, actually can have negative affects on society. Your business is no longer just 'your business', it is out there for everyone to see and available to be used towards or against you. It's as if our society as morphed into a bubble and there is always an outside force looking in on us.
What stood out the most for me in this clip were the likes most commonly attributed to people with a higher IQ. Nearly all of the different trigger likes seemed logical for me, with the exception of the curly fries. The Daily Show is one of my favorite shows. It is extremely clever, not only delivering a surprisingly accurate portrayal of the new, but making fun of it at the same time. This takes skill and some of the best minds in comedy work on the script. Also, some of the likes such as science and thunderstorms, are very obvious choices for a high IQ person. Usually people of above average intelligence are more interested in scientific phenomenon, and describing how the world works, than the average person. Morgan Freeman is a great actor, so perhaps someone of higher intelligence could better appreciate his skills. Or, they are more likely to watch his educational shows that he did, like "Through The Wormhole."
Anyone else think Erin Burnett is just butthurt because everyone likes the daily show more than her show and she hates curly fries? No? Just me? K... Anyway, yeah I think all this is awesome cuz I'm a psych major and I love making ridiculous statements based on seemingly irrelevant data. It's fascinating to me that there's some kind of correlation between all my likes and my IQ. I mean come on, when I clicked the like button for To Kill A Mockingbird, I just thought I was supporting a great American novel, I didn't know I was also filling out an IQ test. It's okay though, because my liking To Kill A Mockingbird was probably cancelled out the second I liked 300 or Beer Pong. That being said I wonder if you have to like all these things together to have a higher IQ, or the more you like of the seven the smarter you are. Or maybe there are things that will completely negate all the smart stuff you liked like Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers or The Dodgers or Dick Cheney... I really wanna see what the stupidest people on Facebook liked now... Oh that's gonna bug me for a while.
I guess i never really thought before this video that Facebook knows about me. I think its really really strange that by what we put on our Facebook such as statuses or what we like that it can learn everything about us. I noticed the other day that my advertisements on my personal Facebook were different than my friends. All of my advertisements were geared towards my personal interests so i was more likely to click on them. I think that its crazy that something like a computer page knows just as much about me as my friends or family would. Its actually kind of scary because just by liking a page or posting a status, you have no sense of privacy anymore and anyone who looks at your FB page can learn so much about you. After watching this video i definitly want to monitor more now what I post.
I knew that people and scientists and researchers and statisticians and you know, all those types of people, were able to make formulas for different concepts and abstract deas to make a way to predict certain things, but I never realized that they could also do it with Facebook. I really enjoy statistics so this is something that is really interesting to me and it blows me away that people can predict so much just by analyzing what they "Like" on a social media site. It is fascinating at the same time that it is scary to know how much people can know about me and everyone else on these types of sites and what they can find out. I was really interested in what all she mentioned could be determined from analyzing these things and also realized that no one could really look at my facebook and know all that much....I don't use the like button as much as other people apparently...but I was unable to attend class on Tuesday so I do not know exactly how to tie this to what was discussed during that class time. Still very interesting and something to think about though.
I have never thought about how what I like on Facebook, or how it could effect how people could identify me. I think it;s really interesting that you can determine someones IQ by something they like on Facebook, especially curly fries. I never really thought twice before liking something but now that I know it effects what others think of me that changes things. I think this relates to class because we talked about how if people can change how others think. Depending on what I like on Facebook, could determine what someone thinks of me. If I like certain things they could think I'm a certain race or gender. Very interesting.
I have never thought about how what I like on Facebook, or how it could effect how people could identify me. I think it;s really interesting that you can determine someones IQ by something they like on Facebook, especially curly fries. I never really thought twice before liking something but now that I know it effects what others think of me that changes things. I think this relates to class because we talked about how if people can change how others think. Depending on what I like on Facebook, could determine what someone thinks of me. If I like certain things they could think I'm a certain race or gender. Very interesting.
I found this news story to be very interesting too, Cara! I always just liked random things on Facebook for the fun of it but it's weird to now see that Facebook can determine so many things off of what we like. It's neat but creepy at the same time!
There is an ever growing abundance of information on the internet. There are pages that have been developed since the FoIA where I can type my name and without a fee find the last five places I have lived and previous phone numbers. There are data stores that sell data that you think is secure in one location, but other people profit off of it, selling it to others. Facebook is different; however falls into this same category. All of the information that you post to Facebook, which most people do not think about, then belongs to them and they can do with it what they will. Data analytics, in this example, is the future of internet-based advertising and sales. I dont necessarily feel the same ways that others have about this topic, perhaps because it is part of my second major. Whether or not the examples about something as mundane as liking curly fries are necessarily true or valid, I'll leave that to another discussion but it is truly amazing what you can do with what people would consider insignificant data.
I found this news story to be very interesting and somewhat a familiar tale. Over the past year, it's become quite obvious to me that FaceBook caters to each individual user because I kept seeing advertisements for things that could be related with me, such as Miami University ads and Bishop Fenwick High School ads and much more. This happened because on my Facebook, I had myself listed as going to high school at Bishop Fenwick and going to college at Miami University. What really surprised me about this video was that Facebook felt it could determine your IQ based on what you liked. What I found to be even weirder was that it said that if you liked "curly fries" on Facebook that is a sign of possessing a high IQ. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but maybe I should go like curly fries on Facebook so they'll think I'm smarter.
I thought it was interesting how our IQ’s are visible based on what we “like” on Facebook. Just because one doesn’t “like” those certain things on Facebook doesn’t make them dumb, maybe they choose not to. I choose not to post certain things and display certain things on there, like my hometown and where I’m currently living. This is because the internet knows too much, and people don’t need to know my whereabouts, especially when I’m in college by myself with no one to protect me. Panopticons come into play because people are looking at my Facebook account when I don’t realize it. They see what I like and comment and such. Facebook is a power and we learn about others through that power. We learn about other people’s interests and views based on what we see that they “like” and post. The digital world has allowed us to know more about people based on their likes before we really get to know them. Before Facebook, we asked people questions in person regarding what they liked to do and their interests when first meeting someone, but now we go look at their Facebook and see what they like and their interests in order to have something to talk about. The digital world shapes how we interact with people.
ReplyDeleteI found the part of the video about determining your IQ based on what you like to be odd too. Just because I don't like curly fries on Facebook doesn't mean that I have a low IQ! I also enjoyed how you pointed out the panopticons behind all of this because providing Facebook with intricate information about ourselves online makes it easier for them to get a better look at us, yet we can't do the same for them.
DeleteThe video about how Facebook knows everything about us is indeed creepy. The fact that they can tell our IQ based on if we like such things as curly fries sounds absurd. I have always noticed how the ads that are featured on my Facebook are linked to the pages that I have liked. To me, that was no surprise. I found this video to be creepy but yet, I felt as though I already knew these things. The ads are one indication and I suppose it is not hard to find out people's ethnicity or political stance based on the pages we go to or pages we like. If we are liking political pages or pages that relate to our ethnicity, it is not hard for Facebook to determine what we are like. In the bigger picture of things, the idea of Facebook being a panopticon is not surprising. After all, they are watching our every click, comment, and personal message that we are sending. It is smart on their part because they can increase the amount of advertisements they have as well as how many people visit those advertisements. Facebook is a panopticon because we don't even realize they are watching us. We log onto Facebook thinking we are the only ones who can see and know what we are doing, when in reality, there are others always watching.
ReplyDeleteEveryone always says be careful what you put on the internet because everyone will be able to see it and you can never delete it. This particular video made that even more prevalent. It never crossed my mind that my aimless likes on random items on my time line could tell someone my religion, ethnicity, and my IQ. It sounds kind of crazy. The video made me think about the things i like on Facebook and how it would correlate to any of those things. I sit on Facebook and like things with barely thinking about why i like them. How does that translate to my IQ? But apparently it does! Facebook is completely a panopticon. People can find so many things about you from Facebook. If they just looked at my information, right away they could know the basics about my life like I attend college at Miami University, I am from Troy Michigan, who im related to, and how to contact me. Half of that stuff I now want to get rid of because it is creepy to think about how many people probably look at that a day. Facebook paints a picture of everyone's life by using the information we give it, whether that picture that is painted is reality or not, people still see it.
ReplyDeleteI am not really an avid Facebook user so I haven't like many different pages. The only thing I do use the like button for is for pictures and individuals statuses. This wasn't covered in the video. Honestly, to me this isn't very creepy. I think it is a very efficient way to link people to other sites that they would be interested in. I can see how it can be viewed as creepy because it can be related to a panopticon which makes you feel that the Facebook administration is always watching. Facebook has just adopted a way to bring similar people closer and make it easier for people to stay up to date with things they have indicated interest in. This same tactic can be seen in many other websites that makes you type in specific interests.
ReplyDeleteI am constantly on social media sites such as Facebook and I have noticed that they tailor ads to what I like. For example, when I did cheerleading in high school I would like cheerleading pages and search different things about cheerleading on my computer, so all the ads that popped up were about cheerleading. At first I thought this was just a coincidence, but then I realized that they continued to pop up every time, and they were not always the same ads. I don't think this is a bad thing because it is a way of marketing to a specific audience that is actually interested, even though I never click on the ads. However, Facebook claiming that they can tell the persons IQ by what the like does not seem to be realistic to me. Especially when they make the claims that the highest IQ's like curly fries and to kill a mocking bird on Facebook. ANyone could like curly fries because they are delicious and a lot of people like them, regardless of IQ. I read to kill a mockingbird my freshman year of high school. It really isn't a difficult read that only the highest of IQ's could enjoy. I find it so weird that anything you put on Facebook will remain in the web forever, no matter if you delete it or not. We really have no privacy so you have to think twice before you send anything to anyone over the web, even if it is in a message. Facebook really is a panoptican because people can be watching you and every little thing you post, and you have no idea that they are doing it.
ReplyDeleteI found this short video very interesting, but one thing that I wanted to point out was the fact that it's not Facebook necessarily determining these things, it was a group of researchers from Cambridge University. Sure, Facebook does use your likes and different web-searches to determine what kind of advertisements to present to you, but they are not actually the people behind finding your IQ, race, or gender. When it comes to Facebook, I think that it could definitely be compared to a panopticon. Now that Facebook has blown up into a large company, they probably have people who are hired to watch and track different likes. There are people that keep track of certain pages, and shut them down when necessary.
ReplyDeleteThis also made me think about Siri, which we have talked about briefly in class. The fact that people are always tracking, watching, and listening to the things that go on in our lives could creep some people out. I think it is very interesting, and I always keep those things in mind when I post things on the Internet. I always find it really funny when people don't take those things into consideration even after they are warned, and it comes back to bite them.
I do enjoy that you pointed out that it was the researchers at Cambridge who have determined all of this information about Facebook and not Facebook itself because I made that same mistake in my blog post on here. I agree that this could be compared to a panopticon because they can always be watching us yet we can't always be watching them. Very fascinating and kinda scary!
DeleteI thought this was scary/interesting/weird. I think this is scary because like Katherine said you really have to watch what you put and like on the internet. It is scary to think that anything you like on facebook can link to something else. I never really thought about it when I used to like pages when I was younger. But now a lot more is making sense. Whenever I go to a clothes website, the next time I go on Facebook or YouTube, I have those ads on the side. I think it's really interesting that people can tell that much about you just from what you like. I don't even like half of the things that I "liked" in the past, so I don't know how true my IQ test would be. I like how Haley talked about Siri and that you can ask siri anything. Siri freaks me out because I wonder who is getting those siri questions. Can they hear what you say all of the time? I don't know to me this is all weird. This also reminds me how I used to google my name and all of these sites would pop up, I'm curious to see how many sites will grow as I grow older.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting that facebook was able to figure out all of that personal information based on pages we liked. I went on my facebook to look at some of the things I liked but I couldn't see how that would give facebook the ability to tell my gender or anything like that. The more pages and stuff you like on facebook the more people can know about you. I guess it can be creepy if you have something to hide, but they have to have so much information about so many people that more than likely information about yourself goes overlooked. Facebook has the power to be a panopticon in some aspects but it is only taking information that we are making public to everyone.
ReplyDeleteIn class we discussed how media space and real physical space have become merged into one and how over time they have become increasingly harder to separate. In the Steubenville case we saw how all this evidence proved the football players guilt. Facebook is now using what we do and how we interact in media space to make their own profile on us. Growing up we have always been told to be careful what you put on the internet because you never know whose watching nothing can be deleted. It is creepy to realize that its not only other users we need to watch out for but Facebook itself. I think for some users Facebook is panopticon because people know they are being watched and don't want there information to be easily accessible by others. However, some users know that Facebook and other users do not care that others can see there posts and do not filter their information and things they put on Facebook.
ReplyDeletethis actually doesn't surprise me. I would think it would be pretty easy to figure out these single things just by watching what people post. Most of this seems accurate except the IQ part. That i cannot war my head around. While like sam I do not really get on facebook as often as most people do, but i do look at it often. I rarely make posts anymore because like in class someone is always watching you. As a matter of fact for those of you who are seniors i suggest changing your Facebook because employers look at that very often and determine if you are a candidate. This can ultimately disqualify you.
ReplyDeleteI dont know whether to think this is cool or just plain scary. I think it's crazy how much the internet knows about people, but the fact that they are able to tell you age, sex, religion, IQ and many other things just by one website and your interactions on the website is scary especially since many people don't put that information on the internet for specific reasons. I think it's kinda cool though because i have always had an interest in marketing and it's crazy that now we are able to pinpoint advertisements for people based off what books they like, what videos they watch, what picture they have on their Facebook and various other information. I see Facebook as a panopticon because you can't tell who has been looking at your facebook page or when people are looking at your Facebook page much like how prisoners aren't able to tell when they're being watched or by how many people they're being watched by. This also makes me think of 1984 one of my favorite books which was mentioned in the video. a panopticon is just like Big Brother in the book as people of the society never knew when they were being watched or heard, just like people don't know when other people are viewing their Facebook pages.
ReplyDeleteI never thought about Facebook this way before. It isn't that surprising though because we put so much information on Facebook about ourselves and a lot of people have access to that information. I also thought about how I have Facebook friends that I barely know and they can see everything that I post, and can create an impression of me just through a social network. I do think that Facebook would be a very useful research tool for businesses to see what the people like and what is trending right now, but it's creepy that people can find out so many things about you, like your IQ, religion, sex, etc. just from what you like on Facebook. I have never really put much thought into what I like on Facebook at all, and I never thought that people would be analyzing this, like the news reporter said it's just a casual thing. I think that Facebook is like a panopticon because we can be observed at all times once we put our information out on Facebook, we put our information out there and it's not hard for people to gain access to it, just like the researchers used over 58,000 Facebook users likes to analyze their race, gender, sexual orientation, and IQ.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing that Facebook can make such precise predictions of people based on their likes. It is something that one never really thinks about when liking something on Facebook. What this study shows me is that our Intelligence level can influence our choices, and decides the type of things we are interested in. Also, people of different sexes are likely to have different things that they would like on Facebook, along with Homosexuals or people of different races. Things we like are things that describe ourselves, although in an indirect way.
DeleteThis clip reminds me of how in class we discussed how the hackers could actually get access to all of the "rape gangs" texts basically without anyone noticing, that is until it was made public to everyone. People think that on Facebook whatever you like only your friends and yourself can see what you do, what you like, who you friend, etc. But as we discussed in class, once you put something on the web, it's there forever. It's creepy to think without even meeting someone, they can already tell your IQ, even when relating to food! Facebook is a major panopticon because people can find out basically your life story, without you even knowing. To random strangers you may not be a stranger at all, because they could have already creeped on your Facebook and know random things about you. Technology, depending on how you look at it, actually can have negative affects on society. Your business is no longer just 'your business', it is out there for everyone to see and available to be used towards or against you. It's as if our society as morphed into a bubble and there is always an outside force looking in on us.
ReplyDeleteWhat stood out the most for me in this clip were the likes most commonly attributed to people with a higher IQ. Nearly all of the different trigger likes seemed logical for me, with the exception of the curly fries. The Daily Show is one of my favorite shows. It is extremely clever, not only delivering a surprisingly accurate portrayal of the new, but making fun of it at the same time. This takes skill and some of the best minds in comedy work on the script. Also, some of the likes such as science and thunderstorms, are very obvious choices for a high IQ person. Usually people of above average intelligence are more interested in scientific phenomenon, and describing how the world works, than the average person. Morgan Freeman is a great actor, so perhaps someone of higher intelligence could better appreciate his skills. Or, they are more likely to watch his educational shows that he did, like "Through The Wormhole."
ReplyDeleteAnyone else think Erin Burnett is just butthurt because everyone likes the daily show more than her show and she hates curly fries? No? Just me? K... Anyway, yeah I think all this is awesome cuz I'm a psych major and I love making ridiculous statements based on seemingly irrelevant data. It's fascinating to me that there's some kind of correlation between all my likes and my IQ. I mean come on, when I clicked the like button for To Kill A Mockingbird, I just thought I was supporting a great American novel, I didn't know I was also filling out an IQ test. It's okay though, because my liking To Kill A Mockingbird was probably cancelled out the second I liked 300 or Beer Pong. That being said I wonder if you have to like all these things together to have a higher IQ, or the more you like of the seven the smarter you are. Or maybe there are things that will completely negate all the smart stuff you liked like Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers or The Dodgers or Dick Cheney... I really wanna see what the stupidest people on Facebook liked now... Oh that's gonna bug me for a while.
ReplyDeleteI guess i never really thought before this video that Facebook knows about me. I think its really really strange that by what we put on our Facebook such as statuses or what we like that it can learn everything about us. I noticed the other day that my advertisements on my personal Facebook were different than my friends. All of my advertisements were geared towards my personal interests so i was more likely to click on them. I think that its crazy that something like a computer page knows just as much about me as my friends or family would. Its actually kind of scary because just by liking a page or posting a status, you have no sense of privacy anymore and anyone who looks at your FB page can learn so much about you. After watching this video i definitly want to monitor more now what I post.
ReplyDeleteI knew that people and scientists and researchers and statisticians and you know, all those types of people, were able to make formulas for different concepts and abstract deas to make a way to predict certain things, but I never realized that they could also do it with Facebook. I really enjoy statistics so this is something that is really interesting to me and it blows me away that people can predict so much just by analyzing what they "Like" on a social media site. It is fascinating at the same time that it is scary to know how much people can know about me and everyone else on these types of sites and what they can find out. I was really interested in what all she mentioned could be determined from analyzing these things and also realized that no one could really look at my facebook and know all that much....I don't use the like button as much as other people apparently...but I was unable to attend class on Tuesday so I do not know exactly how to tie this to what was discussed during that class time. Still very interesting and something to think about though.
ReplyDeleteI have never thought about how what I like on Facebook, or how it could effect how people could identify me. I think it;s really interesting that you can determine someones IQ by something they like on Facebook, especially curly fries. I never really thought twice before liking something but now that I know it effects what others think of me that changes things. I think this relates to class because we talked about how if people can change how others think. Depending on what I like on Facebook, could determine what someone thinks of me. If I like certain things they could think I'm a certain race or gender. Very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI have never thought about how what I like on Facebook, or how it could effect how people could identify me. I think it;s really interesting that you can determine someones IQ by something they like on Facebook, especially curly fries. I never really thought twice before liking something but now that I know it effects what others think of me that changes things. I think this relates to class because we talked about how if people can change how others think. Depending on what I like on Facebook, could determine what someone thinks of me. If I like certain things they could think I'm a certain race or gender. Very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI found this news story to be very interesting too, Cara! I always just liked random things on Facebook for the fun of it but it's weird to now see that Facebook can determine so many things off of what we like. It's neat but creepy at the same time!
DeleteThere is an ever growing abundance of information on the internet. There are pages that have been developed since the FoIA where I can type my name and without a fee find the last five places I have lived and previous phone numbers. There are data stores that sell data that you think is secure in one location, but other people profit off of it, selling it to others. Facebook is different; however falls into this same category. All of the information that you post to Facebook, which most people do not think about, then belongs to them and they can do with it what they will. Data analytics, in this example, is the future of internet-based advertising and sales. I dont necessarily feel the same ways that others have about this topic, perhaps because it is part of my second major. Whether or not the examples about something as mundane as liking curly fries are necessarily true or valid, I'll leave that to another discussion but it is truly amazing what you can do with what people would consider insignificant data.
ReplyDeleteI found this news story to be very interesting and somewhat a familiar tale. Over the past year, it's become quite obvious to me that FaceBook caters to each individual user because I kept seeing advertisements for things that could be related with me, such as Miami University ads and Bishop Fenwick High School ads and much more. This happened because on my Facebook, I had myself listed as going to high school at Bishop Fenwick and going to college at Miami University. What really surprised me about this video was that Facebook felt it could determine your IQ based on what you liked. What I found to be even weirder was that it said that if you liked "curly fries" on Facebook that is a sign of possessing a high IQ. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but maybe I should go like curly fries on Facebook so they'll think I'm smarter.
ReplyDelete